A Long Awaited Return
I haven't written anything in a long while; it is foolhardy to believe that anybody is still checking this website. I must announce my triumphant return to my hordes of ravening fans.
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything vital to say, since the main point of this post is to re-dedicate this space. Perhaps it is a good idea to run through a list of important thoughts I've been having the past month. (Well, to keep it epistemological [not to mention accurate] I should say phenomena to which I have been subject over the past month.)
1. Vonnegut! Lots and lots of Vonnegut. Can't go wrong with Vonnegut. Well, not often, and it's fleeting when it happens.
2. Epistemology! I'm taking Epistemology this semester under Adam Wager, who, believe it or not, lives right across the street from me. It's a great class, though Wager did unfairly snub me the other day for being "idealist." I'll get you yet, Wager. Mark my words.
3. A wedding! I'm playing a wedding tomorrow with Chris and Sarah. For a while it looked as though I wasn't going to be able to get the music and we'd have to call it off, but I got it last second. Now that we've practiced once, we are indubitably prepared!
4. Many many books! Those who know me know I love to read but it's risen to obsessive levels since coming back to Vermont. A brief list (that is to say the part of the list that I can remember off the top of my head)
- Cat's Cradle
- Breakfast of Champions
- Sirens of Titan
- Slaughterhouse Five
- God Bless You Mister Rosewater
- Mother Night
- Player Piano
- Bluebeard (I think that's all of the Vonnegut)
- Kafka, short stories
- The Handmaid's Tale
- Interesting Times
- Small Gods
- The Fifth Elephant
- Carpe Jugulum
- All of the Harry Potter books, each finished in one day except for Book 6, which took a day and a few hours. That was a monotonous week.
- A Cartoon History of the Universe, Part 2
- And of course none of this is counting the books I'm reading for class
5. Music! Besides being actively involved in music in orchestra and my ensembles, I have been eagerly gathering up new bands to love with unprecedented success! Some of my new acquisitions:
- Thievery Corporation
- Godspeed! You! Black! Emperor!
6. Burlington! I am back in the best city in the best state, Burlington, Vermont and loving it. Of course, I must warn that I am being partially facetious. Obviously the "goodness" and "badness" of the state rests heavily on subjective experience and I cannot presume to speak for everybody - not to mention the impossible logistics of appraising Vermont and then Burlington according to my own scale of excellence. There are far too many factors to consider. However, I have found that three quarters of making something the best is recognizing its inherent bestness (yeah I know I like Pirsig too much).
I am now living in a house with four bedrooms. Sean lives across the hall from me (for those that followed my Japanese adventures, it's not the same Sean) and Gabe and Alyssa live upstairs in veritable mansions of rooms. We're on North Willard street, so not very far from campus. We are a wacky bunch of characters (really, we are) and you should come visit us. We have a porch, too, so if you want to do something smelly and you don't want the landlords or the cops to find out about it that's the place to be. And the badass stereo system is a major bonus.
Well, I suppose that's it. Just officially restarting this thing. Hopefully I'll keep this up.